Even Sparklers Are Dangerous…
Did you know that sparklers burn at temperatures as high as 1200 to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit? That’s hotter than the temperature at which cakes bake (350 °F), wood burns (575 °F), and glass melts (900 °F). However, for many families, playing with sparklers and watching the neighborhood firework show is a 4th of July tradition. Even holding a sparkler can have life-altering consequences, including eye injuries and loss of limbs. Lighting firecrackers, roman candles or reloadable shells can be just as dangerous- terrifying pets, starting accidental fires, and cause serious injuries, including painful burns.
According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission, sixty percent of all firework injuries occur around July 4th, with firecrackers and homemade explosives at the top of the list. More than half of all non-fatal firework injuries are burns that could have been prevented had better firework safety rules been followed. Firework-related injuries and fires occur generally because of improper use, not from a manufacturing defect. Common sense and firework safety is essential to enjoying the celebrations without any life-altering burns or injuries.
Don’t spend your July 4th weekend in the emergency room. Spend it with your family and friends and BE SAFE celebrating our National Holiday.