One would like to believe that due to slippery and hazardous conditions, people would drive slower and far more carefully in the winter. there would be fewer car and truck accidents in winter. However, you may be surprised to know that there are actually fewer car and truck accidents in winter than in summer. Part of the reason may be that people are driving very carefully. But what it boils down to, more likely, is the fact that there are just fewer people on the road when the weather is wintery.
Are Car And Truck Accidents More Common In The Winter?
Weekends and summer are when accidents are more likely to occur, statistically. People are enjoying the summer weather and their time off on weekends, so there are more cars on the road. Something else that influences your likelihood of having an accident is the time of day. Because people are tired, speeding, drink driving, forgetting their seatbelts, they are more likely to have an accident at night than during the day.
Winter Driving – Stay Safe
Though most accidents may not happen during winter, they are particularly serious when they do occur. Severe injuries, significant property damage, and even death can result from accidents on icy or snowy roads. Naturally, regardless of the season, you should always practice caution when driving. To prevent an accident, adjust your driving habits when you’re driving in icy or snowy conditions and exercise extra caution.
Best Practices for Winter Driving
This winter, stay safer on the roads by following these tips:
- If you must drive during wintery weather, let someone know when you expect to arrive at your destination, the route you are taking, and where you’re going.
- Keep your gas tank full so you won’t get stranded in a storm. This can also discourage the freezing of your fuel line.
- To be prepared in case of an accident, keep an emergency supply kit in your trunk. Include a first-aid kit, flashlight with batteries, high-energy snacks, sanitation supplies, warm clothing, and blankets.
- Keep a broom/brush/scraper in your car to remove ice and snow from your windows and windshield.
- Keep your cell phone charged when you’re driving in winter so that you can call for help if needed.
- Before the season’s first snowstorm, get your car winterized.
Corradino & Papa – Your Champions of Justice!
For people throughout New Jersey and other select areas of the United States, hazardous winter conditions can lead to accidents and injury. If you are injured in a car or truck accident, one of the first connections you should make is that of an experienced, knowledgeable, reputable attorney. That’s us! We are Corradino & Papa. We will do everything in our power to help you get the compensation you’re entitled to. Click here to be introduced to our team members.
We are a Clifton, New Jersey-located personal injury law firm that is proud to serve clients in and around the following areas:
- Union County
- Hudson County
- Essex County
- Bergen County
- North Arlington
- East Orange
- And many more cities/counties
Fill out our convenient online form to book a free consultation at no obligation to you.