If you have been a victim of an underride accident, understandably, you would have experienced great distress. Underride crashes are one of the most serious kinds of accidents that can take place between two vehicles on the road.
What Is an Underride Accident?
An underride accident occurs when a passenger vehicle goes under the trailer of a large, commercial semi-truck, be it partially or completely. As the size difference between two such vehicles means that the hood of automobiles can easily go under a semi-truck, these accidents are common between two vehicles of varying sizes.
Types of Underride Accidents
Below are the three types of underride accidents that can occur:
- A front crash, where a trailer backs into and over a smaller vehicle
- A rear crash, where a smaller vehicle slides under the back of a trailer
- A side crash, where a smaller vehicle slots under the side of a trailer
Causes of Underride Accidents
As with all kinds of road accidents, the list of reasons that can result in an underride accident is long:
- Extreme weather conditions
- Adverse road conditions such as slick roads
- Driver fatigue or distraction
- Driving under the influence
- Brake or engine failure
- …and many more
Underride Accidents Can Result in Serious Injuries or Fatalities
It is not hard to see why underride accidents can often be fatal. Even if there are no fatalities, serious injuries that impact the victim for life are common. These can include:
- Spinal cord injuries that have a long-term impact on mobility
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Damage to bodily organs
- and more
Steps to Take Following an Underride Accident
If you or a loved one have been involved in an underride accident, not only are there financial costs to bear, the mental and emotional toll it can take on involved parties can be unquantifiable. After an underride accident, take the following steps:
- Call for medical assistance immediately
- Note down any pieces of evidence which can be found on the scene, such as the license plate of the other vehicle
- Collect information from any witnesses who are around
- Get in touch with your insurance company and attorney
Hire A Car Accident Attorney to Obtain Justice and Maximize Compensation
In order to obtain justice and maximize the level of compensation you receive following an accident, the wisest course of action would be to engage a car accident attorney. The compensation you are entitled to can extend beyond medical bills to include loss of wages, pain and suffering, wrongful death, auto repairs and more.
With one of our experienced and competent lawyers from Corradino & Papa, LLC, on your side, we will fight tirelessly in your best interests to maximize the amount of compensation you receive. We understand the emotional turmoil that can follow a serious accident and will work with you to obtain justice. If you would like to discuss a case, please feel free to contact us
Disclaimer: Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.